POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Escher's House of Stairs : Escher's House of Stairs Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Escher's House of Stairs
From: BayashiPascal
Date: 1 Mar 2020 09:20:01
Message: <web.5e5bc31b3da157905d949c40@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,
Despite I'm lucky enough to be able to use Pov-Ray at my work almost every day,
I haven't had time to play with it personally since probably more than a year.
Finally last month has been quiet enough to let me achieve one of the things I
wanted to do since eternity: reproduce a lithography of Escher.
I've chosen the House of Stairs. My final result has several differences from
the original one but I'm really happy with it. Differences come from incoherence
in his lithography. Not to satisfy some optical illusion like his infinite
staircase, but real mistakes I believe. This lithography is so complex that
thinking of him doing it with only a pencil and a ruler... we can't blame it !
The lighting to is unrealistic, but I think he was more attached to the
aesthetic on this point. I could have cheated to get closer to his result, but
I've chosen to remain faithful to the underlying mathematical model (according
to my hypothesis): the House is made of one quarter repeated by rotation and
horizontal symmetry. With a camera's type set to cylinder it works perfectly !
About lighting, I've kept his idea of light entering from outside through wall's
doors, and tuned it freely until it pleases me. It lacks the "Curl-ups", which I
definitely want to add, when I'll find time for that... Different points of view
and a video are also tempting me.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'xl-51_small.jpg' (233 KB)