POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : SDL debugging : Re: SDL debugging Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:54:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL debugging
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Feb 2020 14:50:06
Message: <web.5e43050e5a35afe64eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> Am 1/16/20 12:58 AM, also sprach Dick Balaska:
> > I have written an SDL debugger for qtpovray.

At some point, I'm going to model and render a shrine to you.   :)

> I had fun recursively evaluating arrays of arrays. It was a nice
> challenge.  :)

Have you tried skipping elements and leaving some undefined?

> I can evaluate a camera, but man, evaluating a CSG object is not going
> well. :(

I can see CSG getting very complicated, very quickly.

> All that wasted space in the lower left. I don't know what to do with
> that.

1. I would LOVE to have a basic sanity check.  Is there a light source?  Is
there even a camera?   Are there any objects in the camera view?  Are there any
outside the camera view?
2. globally declared constants, variables, etc.
3. Let's suppose you write a bunch of code, or include some files --- do they
get used?  Is there any way to check for superfluousness?
Are there objects that get declared and then not instantiated?
4. are you using the best/latest version? Are you using something that is slow
or inaccurate when you could be using something that works better/faster?
5. check for coincident or nearly coincident surfaces.
6. some sort of "nesting" indicator for showing "where" in the code things went
haywire.  Are we in a loop, include file, something else?
7. Maybe some kind of magic talisman to ward off infinite loops...  :O

I'd say that if you're writing a "debugger" - then #1 on my list would be - what
do people waste hundreds of threads rehashing, and what are the top 20 things
that people mess up.   The error messages are garbage for the most part.
"cannot pass uninitialized Lvalue to..."   OK, so WHICH "Lvalue" is
uninitialized?

You get the idea...