POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Continuing stopped render strategies : Re: Continuing stopped render strategies Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:48:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continuing stopped render strategies
From: jr
Date: 2 Feb 2020 17:25:00
Message: <web.5e374c05350d90451952ca0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 1/27/2020 6:21 AM, jr wrote:
> > Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >> I have a bad habit of stopping a render, making a small change,
> >> rendering again, and then wanting to go back and continue the previous
> >> render. What strategies have you adopted to deal with this type of
> >> situation?
> >
> > I use (well, getting better at using) a version control software for ...
>
> I use GitHub, but it doesn't help me any in this case.

here's how it works for me: scene file with green sphere, works + looks ok,
commit the file.  now make a small change, say sphere to red, but doesn't look
right, want to go back to green, revert the file.  I don't use git other than to
clone some code, so cannot comment, but with fossil everything is in a single
(usually local) db, and the command lines could look like:
  $ fossil commit -m 'green sphere'
now edit scene to 'red' sphere, and render it:
  $ vi mysphere.pov
  $ povray +imysphere.pov
don't like the result:
  $ fossil revert
  $ povray +imysphere.pov

renders the green again.  maybe I just misunderstood?

> >> Are there any changes developers could make to make things easier?
> >
> > can't think of any, do you have anything specific in mind?
> >

> No, I am just really frustrated.

yeah, know _that_ well.  :-(

regards, jr.