POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? : Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 17:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 3.8: Input_File_Name - where has it gone?
From: jr
Date: 9 Dec 2019 20:25:00
Message: <web.5deef225cce2d5dfeeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > ...when "developing" a scene, to have
> > an ini with an unnamed section, with the "lo" quality settings for quick render,
> > and a named section with settings for "final" render.
>
> Yes, that of course makes sense.  There are all of the other options one can
> write into the SDL as well (quick_color, etc)

and those.  (have never actually used quick colours)  (inis make using multiple
declare=xyz=off type controls easy, I prefer it over having to '#switch' in the
scene)

> > (laziness, I guess. forget command-line options, just 'pov38 myini')
>
> I'm still transitioning from Win to Linux via QtPOV-Ray (gui).
> Maybe at some point if I have enough uninterrupted free time _with_ peace of
> mind, I'll get some of the proper command line stuff learned with official or hg
> or WP's branch(es)

I don't want to sound .. disparaging, but, ime, that's not how it works, you
just have to have no alternative (initially, at least).  so, exercise: do a
Ctrl-Alt-F2 and you should see a console login prompt.  login, then add an alias
to your .bashrc, something like:
alias nicepov='nice -n 19 povray'

using 'vi[m]' or like.  logout.  to get back to your desktop should be Alt-F7.
set yourself small tasks and switch to a console to carry them out, then the
"feel" for command-lines will just happen.

for instance, self, all 'root'[*] stuff is done on the console, lo-tech.
tedious, yes, but forces the .. presence of mind needed when using "the
powers".

[*] I use 'sudo' only for a few specific tasks (time server syncing and such).

> > btw, you did ask for a reminder re tangents/pulleys.  here's another.  ;-)
>
> Why yes - and I didn't forget - just busy with - December.
> I'm just gonna throw the extant file over in the other thread and you can see
> what you can make of it.   Ping me with questions comments improvements, etc.

thank you v much.  it'll be a few days before I can get to playing with it.

> And make something.  :)

when (_if_) I get to the point where I can understand and make your code "my
own", I plan to replicate the pulleys depicted on the cover of this book:
<www.amazon.com/POSIX-4-Programmers-Guide-Programming-World/dp/1565920740>

regards, jr.