POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros! : Re: POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros! Server Time
23 Apr 2024 09:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros!
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 8 Dec 2019 18:10:00
Message: <web.5ded82c434e1c5cf4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> I have the whole ASTER elevation data set (3601 by 3601 measuring points
> per square degree!)

I'm thinking that there ought to be a way to compress a lot of that in order to
save space and possibly make render time faster as well.

I mean, just consider a case where an entire tile was dead flat.  You could
render that with
plane {}, 2 triangle {}s, or a box {}

Scroll down to "Data Compression" to see what I mean, more generally.
http://www.ams.org/publicoutreach/feature-column/fcarc-svd

Maybe just make sure that the elevation data is saved in a compressed image
format like jpg or something that simple...

I mean, especially if certain areas are shifting sand, or you can get away with
a more generic representation of certain mountains, etc.

(I wonder if a DEM tile could be Fourier transformed, and then the results used
to mathematically create an internal image on the fly, or make a grid of Bezier
patches using the Fourier data for the Bernstein polynomial coefficients....)