POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloudscape : Re: Cloudscape Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloudscape
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 6 Dec 2019 11:30:01
Message: <web.5dea810b5bb70f08dc39a140@news.povray.org>
pascal <gos### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > Hi there !
> >
> > Long time so see... I can't say I'm back, but after a while in hibernation
> > concerning POV-Ray, I recently revived my clouds. This render took 1h 45 mn on a
> > Xeon quad E5-1620 V2 @ 3.7GHz, with latest version 3.8 and with "+a0.05  +am3
> > +ac0.99 +r4".
> >
> > Regards
> >
> Nice one !
> Do you use a special macro for the clouds ?
>
> P.

No. Clouds are from a density function, based on standard patterns (wrinkles
here), within a spherical shell container (difference of spheres). You tweak
turbulence, thresholds and media parameters in order to get desisred result. A
bit tricky because of vast range of combinations and render time, especially
when using radiosity.

However, I use a marcro that builds a layer, with numerous parameters, one of
them is the density function. As of now, I can have 4 layers :

1) high altitude clouds (typ. low density),
2) mid altitude clouds ('normal' density),
3) ground to layer 2, for beam effects (typ. low density)
4) simulated fog layer, just above the ground.

plus the atmosphere itself, of course.

B.