POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cf alpha freeze : Re: cf alpha freeze Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cf alpha freeze
From: jr
Date: 6 Dec 2019 11:00:02
Message: <web.5dea7ad9a76050e4feeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> >> That droid obviously have an interior that set an IOR. We see a fair
> >> amount of total internal reflection.
> >
> > in the eye glass, the only other ior I found is used in the ground plane!
> > (unsure why)
>
> Setting an IOR is needed when you want to use fresnel reflection. Check
> the finish of that plane. My bet is that you'll find something like :
> finish{ reflection{ 1 fresnel } SomeOtherFinishComponent }

and you won.  :-)  used for the eyes only though, afaics.

> With no IOR set, it default to 1, witch effectively kill any reflection.
> When you use a naked pigment or finish, you effectively apply the
> default finish along with the pigment, and the default pigment with the
> finish unless you also define the other.

thanks.  asides like this are so valuable, even if they don't always "sink in"
at first.

Cousin Ricky:
> It's not just internal reflections; the individual parts used to
> construct the CSG are being reflected.  Try a merge rather than a union:

yes, like a .. cuddly version of the infamous T1000.  :-)  will try a merge, in
fact, will probably end up reusing chunks of your code but modified to suit.

regards, jr.