POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Tangents between circles : Re: Tangents between circles Server Time
16 Apr 2024 12:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tangents between circles
From: Leroy
Date: 22 Nov 2019 22:00:00
Message: <web.5dd89fb61b345bf57d6f06630@news.povray.org>
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>

> > > Certainly I'd love to work out the logic of animating it, and doing something
> > > like a toothed belt or chain to run along gears or sprockets.
> >
> > given knowledge of radius of A, and the number of degrees it revolves from one
> > frame to the next, it would just require to map that length of arc to B to get
> > the corresponding angle (not that I could actually do it).
>
> That's great for - one arc.  Now picture 5 pulleys and you want to highlight one
> link in the chain and follow that around the whole system.
>
> It's sounds - excessive to do, but from an animator's standpoint - to give the
> viewer that visual cue with which to infer motion and direction... it makes a
> BIG difference.

I'm back. I glances over Eagles code. A lot of math there!
But I'm here to talk about the animated belt. I through away all my belt parts.
(pieces of prisms and lathes) and made a large mesh2 using the same variables
that where use to cut and place the belt parts. Now with UV mapping I can have a
different texture on each of the 6 faces of a belt.
 While I was playing with the textures I can up with idea for that toothed belt.
Every where there is a space between the teeth move the vertex_vectors in that
area so that they are flush.
 I haven't done a done a complete animation yet. But the plain belt should be no
problem, just translate late the textures. The tooth belt would have to be
remade for every scene.

Have fun! I have.