POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray version and installation instructions : POV-Ray version and installation instructions Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:54:04 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray version and installation instructions
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Nov 2019 17:40:01
Message: <web.5dd46eb668e5bb244eec112d0@news.povray.org>
http://www.povray.org/download/

is woefully out of date and pretty sparse on installation details.

https://www.povray.org/download/linux.php

doesn't really work for me.

This worked flawlessly:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C5d2d8c2a%241%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C5d2d8c2a%241%40news.povr
ay.org%3E

I think that it would be helpful, especially since we are seeing new users
appear, to update the downloads and installation pages, and provide some
information about the directory structure (where the binary resides, etc)

A link to the github page
how to install from that .zip file

and perhaps some links to experimental versions such a hgpovray38, W. Pokorny's
branch(es), the newly resurrected pov modeler, etc.

Having a way to install and update POV-Ray with apt-get, yum, or any other
package manager would be great.   Perhaps even some .deb packages.

from:  http://www.povray.org/download/
"...it is expected that many Unix-like systems that have package managers or a
ports system will provide a single-line means of installing a binary or
fetching/building from source"

Just an observation.