POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar with i= : Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar wi= Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:45:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar wi=
From: Mr
Date: 18 Nov 2019 05:50:00
Message: <web.5dd2774ef0a1c14516086ed00@news.povray.org>
> > > Hi, I am using Blender to model and wanted to use POV ray to render my scenes.
> > > But, I'm getting serious shadow issues. There seem to be triangles near wherever
> > > there are shadows!
>
> Well - those appear to be actual triangles.  Can you export from Blender with
> the msh2 object format, rather than mesh?
> Then you could use the smooth_triangles to get a better geometric surface.

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.1#Polygon_Based_Shapes

Hi, the provided scene shows it is already mesh2 as exported by POV-Converter

And since your object appears to be just some sphere, maybe the fastest
workaround is to just use a POV sphere ? (Shift + A menu then choose the pov
primitives to add them instead of Blender ones, all objects from this submenu
stay POV primitives and have there parameters to modify once you click the lock
/Unlock Icon in properties window).

If you do have to use a mesh, IIRC there might be a better shadow interpolation
option in later POV versions. Otherwise adding some subsurf modifier to it will
refine its geometry and curvature.

Using some radiosity with a nearby surface or other lamp types *might* resolve
the issue if it gets to have an area instead of single point/light path.