POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.8 and text {} : Re: 3.8 and text {} Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.8 and text {}
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Nov 2019 07:10:04
Message: <web.5dcbf19260166f6f4eec112d0@news.povray.org>

> I am not often using text, so I am probably wrong, but comparing to the
> wiki: http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Text  I miss the double
> quotes. Shouldn't one write: ttf "ArialFont.ttf" "label"  ?

Good catch - I read right through that, as "I've been using it for decades"
makes me assume it's not the issue, and so I jump past the surface to something
deeper.

from:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Text

The syntax is:

TEXT_OBECT:
  text {
    ttf "fontname.ttf/ttc" "String_of_Text"
    Thickness, <Offset>
    [OBJECT_MODIFIERS...]
    }
Where fontname.ttf or fontname.ttc is the name of the TrueType font file. It is
a quoted string literal or string expression.

Maybe POV-Ray thinks that ArialFont is a string expression - an identifier - and
burps when it's not defined the way it thinks it should be?

Who knows what dark magic lurks in the Balaska scene files...