POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Future of missing "assume_gamma" : Re: Future of missing "assume_gamma" Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future of missing "assume_gamma"
From: JimT
Date: 4 Nov 2019 11:35:08
Message: <web.5dc0526a7fa1c38be7517870@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Le 2019-11-03 à 06:14, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> > Le 03/11/2019 à 07:07, Greg Kennedy a écrit :
> >> POV-Ray 3.7 gives this warning if you try to trace a scene without assumed_gamma
> >> set:

..
..
..
> When rendering older scenes with gamma other than 1, setting it to 1
> don't detract, and often gives better results anyway.

CRTs used respond non-linearly to electron beam intensity with, IIRC, low
electron beam intensities stimulating the phosphors too little. Old operating
systems/graphics display cards didn't add any correction factor so the only way
to view images (on a CRT) in true colour was to increase the RGB values of dark
colours using a gamma value of something like 2.4, when they were rendered. But
the precise value depended on your monitor. Rendering an image to send to a
printer might use a different gamma, maybe 1.0 (no correction). Though back
then, colour printers were rather poor quality.

For a short while, you could set a gamma value in Windows to suit your CRT
monitor, then all images displayed on the monitor would display correctly -
UNLESS they had already been gamma corrected, when dark colours would appear too
bright.

Thus, if you have old images that you rendered with a non-unit gamma, you should
expect them to have dark colours that don't look dark enough on modern monitors,
and if you re-render them with gamma = 1.0, they SHOULD appear more realistic.
In other words, using old files, even if you specify an old POV-Ray version, you
should probably re-set gamma to 1.0. I think this is why Clipka will give you a
warning if you don't specify an assumed gamma.