POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : bounding box calculator : Re: bounding box calculator Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:57:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bounding box calculator
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Oct 2019 18:10:00
Message: <web.5db6157d34d8ef064eec112d0@news.povray.org>

> we squish that sphere into a spheroid or ellipsoid?
> Graph those results.   Look at them.   I'm sure they'll say something.
> Just like the trace level on the NMR, we'd be looking for a global _minimum_ on
> each of the axes of the ellipsoid, that tightly girdle the shape.
> Then you'd have 3 axes of the ellipsoid,

Sounds great, Bill.
Some folks already did that, like 30 years ago...
Good job...

http://geomalgorithms.com/a08-_containers.html
"Nevertheless, especially in higher dimensions, the bounding ellipsoid is
superior to the minimal cuboid in many ways. It is unique, whereas the minimal
cuboid is not. There is a reasonable algorithm to implement it. And it is a good
approximation of the object it contains, much better than the minimal cuboid."

https://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/junkyard/rcg.html

https://inf.ethz.ch/personal/emo/PublFiles/SmallEnclDisk_LNCS555_91.pdf