POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tangents with analytical geomtery : Re: Tangents with analytical geomtery Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:35:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tangents with analytical geomtery
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Oct 2019 21:50:00
Message: <web.5da2828521826f334eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Here's another with more pulleys, including one with radius 1x10^-6 to simulate
a point, and make a sharp bend.

One thing I probably have to explore is where I get a division by 0 warning for
circles of equal radius (I'm adding E-6 to one as a fudge factor), and what
ahppens if I don't have 4 tangents - what if I have special cases of circle
cotangency, etc.

One thing I noticed early on when trying to head off pathological cases and
where user choice might be needed is illustrated by the largest circle (lower
right).
Out and around (red path) vs in and around (green path)

Another interesting possibility for "belt" path is the largest circle in
Quadrant I.   There, one could select outside tangents on the same side, and get
a sort of curved "scraper" / hollow-ground shape.

Questions, comments, advice, suggestions, math, research, links, coding
expertise, etc. are welcome as always.   :)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'serpentinebeltprism.png' (509 KB)

Preview of image 'serpentinebeltprism.png'
serpentinebeltprism.png