POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tangents with analytical geomtery : Tangents with analytical geomtery Server Time
23 Apr 2024 16:35:05 EDT (-0400)
  Tangents with analytical geomtery
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Oct 2019 21:15:01
Message: <web.5da27a2a65c96eb4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
So I tried doing this "the old way" by calculating the angle between the center
line and the tangent and then rotating and translating - but that got too messy
too fast for my second test case, and the first one was hairy enough.

So I implemented a fully analytical method to calculate the endpoints of the
tangent lines "in place" for any arbitrary set of circles.

Input for the macro is just a list of circle centers and radii.

Now to implement some further logic, and then try non-circular "pulleys", and
linear bends.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'serpentinebeltprism.png' (442 KB)

Preview of image 'serpentinebeltprism.png'
serpentinebeltprism.png