POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : povray.conf contains evil directory : Re: povray.conf contains evil directory Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:37:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray.conf contains evil directory
From: jr
Date: 11 Oct 2019 09:30:00
Message: <web.5da082cf783a8ea6feeb22ff0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 10/11/19 7:22 AM, jr wrote:
> > Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> >> For me, on debian/ubuntu/mint, povray/qtpovray ends up at
> >> /usr/share/povray-3.7
> >> /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8
> > weird.  neither is "system" software, so should go under '/usr/local' (or
> > '/opt'), aiui.
>
> /usr/share: Architecture-independent (shared) data.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

thanks.  could have sworn there's a section 7 man page too, but cannot find it
now.  :-(

> I have 351 directories of foo under /usr/share
> /usr/local is for stuff I build myself.  I didn't, I installed the
> "official" debian package.
>
> /opt is for optional.   Good for whole self contained self-downloaded
> packages.  Like /opt/eclipse and /opt/Qt.

still, strange choice.  conflict between build system and packaging tool?  in my
(nvh) opinion, the packages should install under '/usr/local', and the
"architecture independent" stuff under '/usr/local/share'.

wrt '/opt', _if_ POV-Ray installed as '/opt/povray/{bin,etc,share}', I'd be ok
with that too.

if you create your own (qtpovray) package, does that differ from the official
package?  (blame the maintainer!  ;-))

> I'm curious, on your slackware system, where do your *.vim files live?
> (like filetype.vim)  The povray %INSTALLDIR% is a cousin of that.

'/usr/share/vim'.  however, the editor is (of course) part of the system s/ware.

regards, jr.