POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Asteroid Normal Map : Re: Asteroid Normal Map Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:56:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid Normal Map
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Oct 2019 14:10:01
Message: <web.5d978a1644e99bc84eec112d0@news.povray.org>

> Am I right it's looking like orthographic camera(s) for the 2d image and
> also to generate an rgb normal image for any particular orientation of
> the object?

After hunting down some discussions on this for Blender and Unity, that's the
way it looks to me.
I think that this Godot engine might need an inverted y normal --- but I'm ...

.... wait for it ...

.... waiting for Godot to answer that.       :D

Literally, it needs to get tested out in the Godot rendering engine to see if
it's correct.

> If yes, did you generate the normal map on the right with the trace
> command? Asking because I've long carried around the question of whether
> trace returns the raw normal or the texture perturbed raw-normal. Your
> image, if done with trace, makes me think it returns the raw normal.

I did not - the averaged slope pattern looked simple and was already
implemented, so I went with that for speed and laziness   :D

I was actually reviewing this in my head this morning, and I realized that I
probably introduced some confusion by adding normal {granite scale 1.5} to the
asteroid for an earlier experiment and didn't remove it from the gray asteroid
in the latest comparison.

I just removed that texture normal, and now the surfaces look the same, and
#declare G = function {pigment {granite scale 1.5}} along with
subtracting G(x,y,z).x*0.25 from the noisy sphere function gives me
normal-perturbed versions of both.

So, that indicates that it's purely a geometric / actual raw normal, not a
normal that is modified by the texture.

Attached is the pigment-function subtracted isosurface.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'asteroid_prototype.png' (1044 KB)

Preview of image 'asteroid_prototype.png'
asteroid_prototype.png