POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Refraction patterns : Re: Refraction patterns Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:07:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Refraction patterns
From: IGM
Date: 2 Oct 2019 03:25:01
Message: <web.5d944fcbe5bed6c2d4647f30@news.povray.org>
> Could you design a solid lens whose shape gives you the desired effect, and then
> apply the no_image modifier?
> [...]
> Then you could have whatever other things you want in the scene, but the
> ray-bending lens won't be visible, creating the illusion of a refractive
> material.

Yes, a standard lens would simulate a roto-symmetric distribution of refractive
index. A polynomial lens or freeform lens would allow a more complex pattern.
Instead, for my application, I was looking for a random distribution of ior with
strong variation inside the pattern, something similar to a smoke, granite or
fractal distribution.