POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generate normal map : Re: Generate normal map Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:36:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generate normal map
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 Oct 2019 18:10:07
Message: <web.5d93cde6892ac194eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Josh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how I would generate a normal map of an object in povray? I
> have a scene with a single asteroid in it, and I need to generate a normal map
> of it so it can be lit up properly in a 2D game.
>
> Also, how would I render the asteroid with only ambient light? Since there are
> already lights in the game...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Josh

I'm not sure you want to use a normal map, or even just a normal for what you
want to do.

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Normal_Map

I'd probably use an isosurface sphere and perturb the surface with a noise
function to get real 3D displacement.

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/simple.htm#sphere
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/builtin1.htm#sphere1
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/parametric.htm#sphere2
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/patterns.htm#noise

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/combine.htm#add

As for the lighting, you can use
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Global_Settings#Ambient_Light

combined with

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Finish

however, to give a "realistic" look to the object, I'd think you'd want to try
to create a light source in your scene so the POV-Ray light source is in
approximately the same relative position as the one in the game.

We'd need more details and perhaps a diagram or screenshot to really give you
better advice.
Are you animating this?