POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trying to create a particular object : Re: Trying to create a particular object Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:58:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trying to create a particular object
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Sep 2019 06:30:00
Message: <web.5d8c925d97ff03a54eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"David Kraics" <bar### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> Hi there. Over the many years of playing with POVray, I have often tried to
> recreate things that require a certain object. I want to go from a cylinder to a
> cone, but I want it to be tapered in, rather than a straight cut into the angle
> of the cone. Sort of like going from cylinder to half-sphere to cone. Does this
> make sense?

Convex, concave, or sigmoid (both - one, then the other)?

> Maybe this helps to picture what I had in mind. Right now I want to
> recreate a Navy submarine. The shape of the sub transits smoothly from a
> cylinder to ending in a cone shape in the rear, without a sharp change in angle.
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Spindle of a spindle torus, difference a "horn" torus away from a cylinder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

non-linearly scaled sphere,

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/substitute.htm

the lemon

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Lemon

isosurface,

Do any of these shapes look interesting?
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/builtin2.htm  (and subsequent pages)

use intersecting spheres around an axis to make a sort of 3D lemniscate (if
that's not redundant with any of the above...