POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay features suggestions : Re: PovRay features suggestions Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay features suggestions
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 25 Sep 2019 18:10:00
Message: <web.5d8be4fb6417acdd4eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I was thinking .. archive(s).  ;-)

Yes, indeed.   Though one thing I'd love to have is a zip of the entire server.
Maybe put it up on a Google Drive or other similar file hosting service.

> ah, I thought this was about things like the ccolefax .zip files and such.

It is, but those are just the "famous" ones.   There's tons of other really cool
stuff buried in the newsgroups.
I think a few of us have tried to archive the whole Lohmueller site - that's an
amazing resource that would make me CRY to lose.
I really have to make sure I have Mike Williams' stuff too.  I can hardly ever
go a month without checking his site for _something_.
There are surely at least a dozen others.

> > True.  It would be nice to have a facelift for the site as well,

And with regard to that, it would be cool to have a sort of slide-show on a
welcome page for the site - and there could be some of the HOF renders as well
as just some really cool renders that have been posted.  Change it up with some
of the holiday renders, etc based on date / season, etc.

> a macro to return (part of) a DF3 in an array[][][] should be doable.
>
> if you decide to develop a 'pointcloud' type, have a look at the 'PointSet'
> primitive in the VRML 2.0 spec which deals with that.
> (I'll post an example of the "old friend" 'spiral.df3' converted in
> p.t.scene-files)
>

> > But as a workaround for the present - that's a pretty cool idea.
> > But how do I [easily] index a single point in the df3?
>
> I have never (really) looked at the POV-Ray source but would think that there
> are places where you could utilise the existing read/write functions for your
> own ends.

Yes, but I think due to the nature of the source, it's probably 100x easier to
just make a special kind of array that can have the usual transforms applied to
it, compared to trying to emulate that in SDL.

> write a pre-processor which translates "I want ..." to assorted primitives and
> outputs scene code?  :-)

You smirk, but that of course is already in my *"notes".

*read as, "10,000 little pieces of paper with scribbles"    :D