POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Recommendations on creating a spotlight with a visible cone : Re: Recommendations on creating a spotlight with a visible cone Server Time
24 Apr 2024 09:05:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Recommendations on creating a spotlight with a visible cone
From: Steve Anger
Date: 27 Aug 2019 22:40:01
Message: <web.5d65e95efc99bc208bed1fa0@news.povray.org>
> "Steve Anger" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how to create a spotlight with a visible cone that fades at
> > the edges without using media? I've tried using a spotlight inside a cone object
> > with a scattering media applied to the cone. The effect is not bad but the media
> > is affected by all light sources in the scene, not just the spotlight spoiling
> > much of the effect. I also get random bright pixels at the edges of the cone.
> >
> > I'm wondering is there is a simpler way to fake the effect.
>
> light groups
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Light_Group

That worked great. Thanks! There seems to be a bug in the media code that
produced random bright pixels when reflective objects are used. The reflections
were not that important to the scene so I removed them.

It's been "many" years since I've worked with POV-Ray. I'm enjoying discovering
all the new features.