POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Cloud Rendering : Re: POV-Ray Cloud Rendering Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Cloud Rendering
From: jr
Date: 4 Aug 2019 09:25:01
Message: <web.5d46dbede48fe8d63936914a0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 8/3/19 4:42 PM, jr wrote:
> > I wonder whether the 'cpuset' pseudo file system stuff (man section 7) could be
> > useful to you.
>
> Maybe. Don't know.

unsurprising.  I snipped the wrong part(s) of your post, totally misleading.
(sorry)

> Unsure to which tool's man page you are referring (virsh?).

man [7] cpuset

> I have been reading about the qemu/libvirt named and host
> model capabilities - which look to be tangled.

I did install qemu last year but have, as yet, not found time/inclination to
work with it; currently not running any virtualisation s/ware.

> I'm not actually working at this complexity at the moment.

as I said, I inadvertently mislead, no idea what was going on in my head.  :-)
I responded to your writing:

"I have though, complications in sometimes wanting machines not running other
things for performance comparison work. ... My image comparison test cases
capture and compare time for gross ideas of performance change. These times are
not reliable unless the machine is doing nothing but a chain of single, one
threaded render tests, at a time."

as I understand it[*] the cpuset mechanism is designed to facilitate resource
isolation, by process(es).  it occurred to me that it should be possible to
split cpu + memory resources, say 75%:25%, and run the system in the 75% set
while doing your measured runs in the 25% set.

regards, jr.

[*] disclaimer, I am trying to make headway with a s/ware project of mine and
haven't, currently, time or opportunity to play with configuration(s).  so the
above is based on my reading of the documentation.