POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated Rende= : Re: Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated R= Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:11:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated R=
From: J  Max Wilson
Date: 28 May 2019 13:45:04
Message: <web.5ced7387fb642dd8cad34d700@news.povray.org>
Benjamin Chambers <ben### [at] outlookcom> wrote:

> I haven't looked at VS Code much, but can you embed it in other
> projects? Would it be possible to include in a custom build of POV
> instead of the current editor? That way we could keep things such as INI
> selection.

That would be an interesting option, Benjamin. Based on its technology stack and
architecture, I suspect that embedding VS Code into the POV-Ray executable won't
be an easy option.

VS Code is built using Electron and Node. That means that it uses the V8
JavaScript engine use by the Chromium Browser as a cross-platform foundation for
building desktop applications using web technologies like JavaScript, CSS3, and
HTML5, with additional hooks into native OS functionality.

Node does apparently have the ability to wrap and incorporate C++ addons, so
there still might be a way.

However, I think that it will prove easier to replicate INI selection and other
helpful POV-Ray specific features than it would be to try to embed VS Code into
POV-Ray. And it would make those features available to users on Mac and Linux
that can't run the Windows POV-Ray.

J. Max