POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated Rende= : Re: Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated R= Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:11:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual Studio Code as a Cross-Platform POV-Ray Editor with Integrated R=
From: J  Max Wilson
Date: 13 May 2019 14:15:04
Message: <web.5cd9b3ce569aadbcad34d700@news.povray.org>
Thanks for chiming in, Bill.

> Editor wise for me, it's the pain of jumping to something new day to day
> that's kept me stuck where I am. I'm always in the middle of a bunch of
> projects. I'll have to effectively pause other work then live with the
> slog back to full speed - or better. Today my editor use is nearly all
> muscle memory. My fingers move and stuff I need to happen, happens.

Yes, I've experienced this too. When you've become productive with one tool it
is difficult to be motivated to fight against the inertia and try something
else-- especially when you have projects that need attention.

I started using VS Code when I decided that I needed to expand my skill set with
some new technologies. I started learning to code in Go and Node, and VS Code
was the natural choice for working with them. Only after I was using it for
those languages did I start using it for other languages.

VS Code does allow you to customize the key-bindings. There is even an extension
to use vim key-bindings so that developers who are proficient with vi can
continue to be productive using VS Code. So theoretically you could replicate
many of strokes stored in your muscle-memory.

> I did not catch mention of what version(s) of POV-Ray SDL you support
> out of the box. I assume v3.7?

The syntax highlighting and code snippets are fairly generic at this point, but
they are based on v3.7. However, the render feature just calls whichever version
of povray is available through the command line.

If you have Docker installed, you can have the extension run POV-Ray from a
docker container instead. I have docker containers for 3.7 stable and 3.8 alpha.