POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Homebrew heightfields : Homebrew heightfields Server Time
16 Apr 2024 16:57:26 EDT (-0400)
  Homebrew heightfields
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 21 Mar 2019 18:30:01
Message: <web.5c940f83e043b4691b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
I've been tinkering with homemade heightfield objects. I'm sure I had a specific
need at one point, but it soon became yet another project for its own sake.
Motivation: I don't really get on with the standard heightfield object, because
they're fiddly to transform into what/where you want, and I usually want to use
a function, which then has to get inversely transformed to keep pace etc.

I've knocked up my own version, creating a mesh2 between two points in the x-z
plane, optionally with sides, normals, gaussian smoothing, save out to .inc file
and an extra stage of perturbation based on a pigment (which might sound
familiar to some of you).

The image attached here also takes an extra step by using a (functionally
laborious) rounded rectangular dropoff and mating it with a rounded box to make
a tile.

Still work in progress. I can share the code once I've tidied it up if anybody's
interested.

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: