POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Continental Hub : Re: Continental Hub Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:55:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continental Hub
From: green
Date: 18 Oct 2018 10:05:00
Message: <web.5bc892cba2905e0088dbe9e30@news.povray.org>
> This is an illustration from the 56th IPCC Summary Report, published in
> 2268. After climate change drove humanity to an artificial structure
> around the Earth, the Panel continued to monitor the planet and to
> report on its changes.
>
> The President of the United States In Exile (POTUSIE) has been reported
> to comment that "again, a useless piece of paper had been produced by a
> group which, unrelentingly, pursued its own agenda."
>
> A few comments about the image:
> - Bald Eagle is thanked for little code that renders "an alternative
> spiral". It is the basis for the rocky outcrop height_field.
>
> - One million trees (2 types) were planted to fight rising CO2 levels.
>
> - Fifty thousand boulders (also 2 types) were thrown to earth. Nice to
> mention that their sizes gradually decrease with distance from the camera.
>
> - The space structure was built in Silo2.
>
> --
> Thomas

this is exquisite.

critiques first.  there is a boulder below and left of center perched on its
end.  it looks peculiar.  there is another, closer, below and right of center.
the boulder at the base of the near tree lower right has a bright band at the
bottom that looks like sunlight coming thru the rock; surely an honest depiction
of the geometry but if it were me i would cheat and get rid of it somehow.
  i do not see a million trees possible in this scene.  perhaps they are
de-scaled to be the moss on the ground?  or is the one-million purely part of
the scifi dialog?
  the boulder at the lower left has a shadow at the top that i mistake for the
silhouette of a bird.  which reminds me there is no animal life in the picture.
how would it affect the purpose of the picture if there were?  what if there
were a mad-max figure in the scene?  a bit much?

the craggy outcrop in the distant center is something i drool for.  wonderful.

the thing that rivets is the space structure.  mesmerizing.  i can not make it
out however, very mysterious.  it seems to be three structures helixed around
themselves; but their cross-sections are very unclear.

somewhat off-topic, but how do the people in the space structure live as far as
gravity/acceleration?

thank you for this image, a living presence burned in my brain.