POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : a given camera doesn't give expected object's shadow laying direction : Re: Radiosity Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: Warren
Date: 26 Sep 2018 12:10:01
Message: <web.5babae0c4485a7220df21d60@news.povray.org>
> Am 26.09.2018 um 11:53 schrieb Warren:
>
> [..]

I take what you say into account , but I must let you know some things :
First, I learned the two pass method with this site : http://www.nolights.de

And In my main scene file (pov file) I have those lines (I put comments to be as
accurate as possible, that wasn't the case in my precedent post, I apologize.
:-(

#version 3.7;

// RadStep is defined in the ini files (rendering configuration)
//If RadStep == 0 : no radiosity
//  RadStep == 1 : radiosity first pass (save radiosity data to file)
//   RadStep == 2 : radiosity second pass (use saved radiosity data from file)

#declare p_start = 64 / Final_Width;//With 1280 as image weight that yields :
0,05
#declare p_end_tune = 8 / Final_Width; //For tuning radiosity (purpose: finding
good values)
#declare p_end_final = 4 / Final_Width;//With 1280 as image weight that yields :
0,003125

//Final_Width could be 'image_width' but for the first pass 'image_width' equals
80 pixels so I pass the Final_Width value '1280' most of the time even for the
first pass

global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0
#switch(RadStep )
 #case( 1 )
           //First pass block
  radiosity{
    pretrace_start p_start //0.08 basically
    pretrace_end   p_end_final //0.004 basically
    error_bound 0.1
    minimum_reuse 0.0025
    nearest_count 8
    count 117 //This value could be higher hence a two pass render interest
    recursion_limit 2
    always_sample off
    low_error_factor 1
    gray_threshold 0.6
    brightness 1.25
    normal on
  }
 #break
 #case( 2 )
           //second pass block
  radiosity{
    pretrace_start 1
    pretrace_end   1
    error_bound 0.8
    minimum_reuse 0.0025
    nearest_count 8
    count 117
    recursion_limit 2
    always_sample off
    low_error_factor 1
    gray_threshold 0.6
    brightness 1.25
    normal on
  }
 #break
#end
}

#if( RadStep >= 1 )
    #default{finish{ambient 0} }
#end

I remember some years ago, I rendered the well known scene of Gilles Tran :
'glass' in WIndows 7 in one pass , and with a count of 200 , that took me about
6 days in 1280x1024 or so and then in two pass in Ubuntu 16.04 with this time a
value of count of 400 with the same resolution of 1280x1024 and the same other
radiosity values that took me 5 or 6 hours for the first pass and less than 10
hours for the second pass (I'm sure it took  one day at most for the two pass
renders , and compared with the six days in one pass...).

Now I just wonder if your answer is the same with those informations. :-D.