POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Locus of a moving point? : Re: Locus of a moving point? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Locus of a moving point?
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Sep 2018 15:35:01
Message: <web.5b9abb0ee18145f2a47873e10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I am thinking of creating a model of the solar system in POV-Ray.
> > However, one of the things I would like to do is trace the path (locus)
> > of each planet around the sun so that the distance traveled so far is
> > visible. How would I accomplish this in POV-Ray? Thanks.
> >

> As a purely visable trail that builds up as a planet moves? Or as a numerical
> distance? The former is something I've done before...

Actually, it might be a simple procedure (but it's only my thought experiment,
beware!) The planet needs some starting position; then use a #while or #for loop
to advance that position incrementally, adding a small sphere there each time.
At the end of the loop, add your planet object. There should be a visible trail
of spheres as the trajectory. I think!