POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : TBTFH 2018 status : Re: TBTFH 2018 status Server Time
24 Apr 2024 12:39:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TBTFH 2018 status
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Sep 2018 20:20:00
Message: <web.5b931549abd6e8db458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > a)  There's a quality 11?    (Throws horns, bangs head)
>
> :-)  section (docs v3.8, section 3.2.8.3)

I see.
For some reason the page I went to specified that section as I/O no
restrictions, but I found quality 9, 10, 11.
My message pane window displays the lower redundant value of 9.

> > b) I don't see a radiosity block in this scene...
>
> immediately below the '#include' lines, the (second) global_settings block.

Oh THAT radiosity "block".
First of all, that's a radiosity LINE, son.
And second of all, these damned dried frog pills that I imported from Scotland
send up a cloud of dust every time I bite into them, so I missed that sections
when I was scrolling down...

> > Render Time:
> >   Photon Time:      No photons
> >   Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
> >   Trace Time:       0 hours  0 minutes 33 seconds (33.499 seconds)
> >               using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total
>
> and that is *fast*.

Well YEAH - WITHOUT radiosity.
I enable that commented line, and it took 27:40.   I thought I was doing ok when
it was at 3:30 and started actually rendering a visible scene, but then it hit
that BTFH....  :|

> the work machine a Linux box too?

Nope.
And now that you mention it, it's a 32-bit Win 7 box that has some
network-linked account......   I wonder what else that's slowing down....
That would explain a LOT about some of my spreadsheet woes.

> did you compile POV-Ray or installed a pre-built binary?  fwiw, I compile + add
> "-march=native -mtune=native" to the compiler flags.

I installed it as per Dick Balaska's instructions, so I'm just hoping he knows
what he's doing   :D

Parser Time
  Parse Time:       0 hours  0 minutes 47 seconds (47.337 seconds)
              using 1 thread(s) with 0.-01 CPU-seconds total
  Bounding Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0.059 seconds)
              using 1 thread(s) with 0.-01 CPU-seconds total

Render Time:
  Photon Time:      No photons
  Radiosity Time:   0 hours  2 minutes 40 seconds (160.610 seconds)
              using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total
  Trace Time:       0 hours 24 minutes 10 seconds (1450.793 seconds)
              using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total

So it seems that your i3 is doing just fine   :)