POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : qtpovray-3.80.5 for Linux : Re: qtpovray-3.80.5 for Linux Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:49:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: qtpovray-3.80.5 for Linux
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Aug 2018 06:40:01
Message: <web.5b6430a5d3b3f1c1458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> You pick it up with your regular updates. It will either find it in a
> day or two or on Mint I typed "update" in the menu search widget to
> bring up Update Manager. Click Refresh if it's not there already.

apparently that has happened.   There is insert menu joy to be had.

> > I could also use a quick-start tip to get the extras, insert menu,  etc
> > installed.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Tell me where you went that didn't help.

You had asked," Did you install qtpovray-extras? "
perhaps it is automagically done now.

> > Perhaps the "workspace" or whatever it's called could be made slightly more
> > usable - I had to fight a bit to switch back and forth between my old Windows
> > partition, and the new default povray scenes location.
>
> The workspace is a paradigm shift for you. If'n you used eclipse, this
> would be comfortable.  I'm willing to blow that out a bit to accommodate
> y'all, i.e. render any file from any where.  I can't decide which way to
> make the default. "Walled garden workspace" or "Free for all".  I'm
> leaning towards the first one, that is modern Best Practice.
>
> Sorry about the file locations.  That's just the way it is.  qtpovray on
> Linux mirrors povray on Linux. /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8 is equivalent to
> /usr/share/povray-3.7

I'm not so concerned with the default parameters - it's the burping in the
switching mechanism.   I'd have to elaborate - but maybe others can try
switching to a new directory or two.

With this editor, can some sort of "hot-key" be implemented?
I'm forever needing to look up the specific syntax of dumb things, or whole
blocks of code.
I used to use a MUD where you could define 10 hot keys and paste-in a fair bit
of text - THAT would be pretty helpful.  I know - I could use a custom insert
menu, and I do, but hot keys would be 100x faster  :)
Just an idea.