POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : dot-notation not allowed in functions? : Re: dot-notation not allowed in functions? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 01:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dot-notation not allowed in functions?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Jul 2018 14:40:00
Message: <web.5b60ac8c497a610125dab10e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Oh, come on now, that's an OLD and crusty way to answer a question in the
> newsgroups-- basically "RTFM", the all-encompassing fallback position-- which I
> thought had been 'deprecated' by now :-P

No, expecting spoon-feeding is the socially unacceptable behavior: You
effectively say that you value your own time to solve a problem by not reading
the documentation higher than the time of others reading this newsgroup for
potentially interesting information and getting them to do the tedious task of
explaing what has already been written somewhere to you for your sole benefit.
:-)

Now, this may be ok in p.newusers, but you didn't post there, did you? ;-)

> "Note: Only the above mentioned items can be used in user-defined functions. For
> example the rand() function is not available."

Yes, that is completely odd and I have no idea why this is in the documentation.

Thorsten