POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : dot-notation not allowed in functions? : Re: dot-notation not allowed in functions? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:50:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dot-notation not allowed in functions?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Jul 2018 01:00:01
Message: <web.5b5febe2497a610125dab10e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> 1) to actually fix the situation, by implementing the dot-notation feature into
> the functions parser. (I really have no idea what's involved in such a scheme,
> so maybe it's a naive idea.)

There is nothing to "fix" because this is not a bug. The function parser works
exactly as designed and documented.

> 2) to include a caveat in the documentation-- somewhere(!)-- about dot-notation
> use in functions. Similar to the caveat concerning colors (in the docs' "Common
> Color Pitfalls") but with a specific restriction about dot-notation.

The documentation is very clear about what is allowed in functions:
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/231/

Obviously, the documentation describes only the finite set of allowed syntax
elements, not the infinite set of not allowed syntax elements.

Thorsten