POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offset surface : Re: Offset surface Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Offset surface
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Jul 2018 12:10:00
Message: <web.5b520925a78a3750c437ac910@news.povray.org>

> You /could/ just pretend that the parallel curve to an ellipsis is also
> an ellipsis. AFAIK that's not true, but it could be sufficiently close
> for your purposes.

I was initially under the impression that he could do this, but they're similar
shapes, and therefore proportional - not constant distance.

I just took a scaled torus and then made a scaled copy - it's definitely not
good.

I'm assuming Mike wants to make an atmosphere for the globe or something
similar.

> In that case, all you'd have to do would be to scale the ellipsoid.
I already suggested this, and was properly shot down.