POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrap Grid Around Stuff : Re: Wrap Grid Around Stuff Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrap Grid Around Stuff
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Jul 2018 22:10:00
Message: <web.5b4aabe5ef60e5b1458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
"Seventy Goats" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> is
> there some relatively uncomplicated way I can make the grid stretch with the
> contours of the objects?

Do you just want to

(a) texture the surface of the object with a grid,

(b) deform the whole x-z plane in the (x, y, and z) directions - like a heavy
ball on a rubber sheet,

(c) or spread the grid away from the object in the x and z directions, like a
knot in the grain on the surface of a piece of wood

?

And do you need this done with an "infinite" plane, or just a square?

(a) can be done with a pigment, or a uv-mapping

(b) and (c) I definitely have to think more about.

(c) might be able to be done with splines

I'm also thinking perhaps along the lines of an isosurface if something like the
following is possible:

#declare r=0.1;
#declare  CylsX = function {(mod(abs(x),2)-1)*(mod(abs(x),2)-1) + y*y + 0 - r/2}

function {
     pattern {
          pigment {
               function{CylsX(x,y,z)}
          }
          warp {
               black_hole <0.15, 0.125, 0>, 0.5
               falloff 7
               strength 1.0
          }
     }
}

But functions can get pretty hairy.
I've tried to simulate the black hole warp from scratch - but no joy.