POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrap Grid Around Stuff : Re: Wrap Grid Around Stuff Server Time
23 Apr 2024 02:03:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrap Grid Around Stuff
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Jul 2018 12:25:00
Message: <web.5b48d21def60e5b1c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Seventy Goats" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> is
> there some ... way I can make the grid stretch with the
> contours of the objects?

As though the object smoothly repelled them?
Perhaps - I think something related to :
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5aeb88d8a270a2d1f2815b9f0%40news.povray.org%3E/

is what I'd try first.

Is this "relatively uncomplicated" - not for someone unfamiliar with POV-Ray.

I'm thinking that perhaps there might be a way to do something with a negative
black hole warp and an object pattern - but that's probably wishful thinking.

So, I'd hit Mike Williams' isosurface tutorial webpage and make the grid with a
mod() isosurface to get repeating cylinders, and then read the docs on
isosurfaces, and blobbing, and see if you can blob a sphere with your grid,
giving the sphere a negative strength.

But that might just give you a hole...

I'll have to think on this later, when it's cooler and I've had more caffeine
;)