POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ten-year anniversary (plus 1) : ten-year anniversary (plus 1) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:03:18 EDT (-0400)
  ten-year anniversary (plus 1)
From: Shay
Date: 10 Jul 2018 10:45:01
Message: <web.5b44c56bd2fe8072c3d0b9a0@news.povray.org>
Loud!, just for fun.

In 2007, I planned a lot of this out on pencil and paper while working my way
across the Atlantic on a jack-up drilling rig--which was itself perched atop a
massive submersible cargo ship.

Career wise, life is a little less interesting now, and ambitious hand-coded
digital art is--as far as I can tell--dead. I rebuilt this model last year (with
a slightly different set of compromises), but I never bothered to show it. There
aren't many left in the world who can see it for what it is: 100,000s of
triangles, 1000s of lines of code, 10s of deliberate mathematical choices, 10s
of pages of notes, days of work, compromises, design, details, details, details.
Now it's just a shape. Even back in 2007, some POV-er asked, "What's the
equation?" as if the whole thing were the product of some Internet search.

I have an arguably negative habit of developing skills no one understands or
cares about. I wonder if my career would be more interesting if I'd made LESS
interesting choices--any Haskell users here will understand.

Of course, the last 10 years have opened up NEW artistic avenues. Deep in the
Heart foundry in Texas offered to 3D print then bronze cast this sculpture for
$20k. An art dealer in Dallas appraised the finished work at $60k, of which he
would take half. That would leave me (theoretically) with $10k. Wouldn't mind
having $10k, but that's a thin margin from which any unexpected costs would be
removed. Maybe I should become an art DEALER.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'curvy_shine.jpg' (238 KB)

Preview of image 'curvy_shine.jpg'