POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focus Blur model : Re: Focus Blur model Server Time
24 Apr 2024 04:41:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Focus Blur model
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Jun 2018 15:15:01
Message: <web.5b3290164ad23916c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:

> Sorry,
> I could not find this in povray.binaries.scenes,
>
> Could anyone explain to me why POV-Ray binary scenes and povray images are
> separated in the newsgroups? I feel it makes things so tedious every time! I
> thought there were only advantages to have no POV forum and only mail
> newsgroups... I probably am using them wrong?

Well, the povray.binaries.scenes (pbs) section is usually for posting the actual
scene file(s) that may be in a binary format, such as a zipped directory
including the .pov text file, mesh include files, image files necessary for
running the scene (image maps, heightfields, etc)

The povray.binaries.images (pbi) section is for posting the actual rendered
images for people to look at, comment on, and enjoy.  Some folks hold the inner
working of their scenes as closely guarded secrets  ;)

> Also to be back on topic, couldn't this 35 mm macro be integrated in the
> official list of POV/UberPOV macros if it still works? Thanks for all the
> information already brought up so far.

Management of things like that is an arduous and largely thankless task.  I'm
sure you could start an indexed repository of macros and other scene code
(hopefully with date or version information :) ) just to see what I mean.

A nice zip file to add to the insert menu would be a beautiful thing as well.

There's just SO MUCH, and it's not used all the time, and even just the stuff
that's IN POV-Ray and documented to the amazing extent that it is, is nearly
impossible to keep track of.

And then there's the time and energy to bring it to fruition...

Just throwing that all out there for your consideration - it's not as trivial as
we all wish it was.