POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : no_image behaviour : Re: no_image behaviour Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no_image behaviour
From: jr
Date: 17 Jun 2018 14:00:07
Message: <web.5b26a1696d52b562635cc5ad0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Am 17.06.2018 um 16:05 schrieb jr:
>
> > I tried using the 'no_image' object modifier to achieve an effect where one
> > (emissive) media filled container, hidden, is intersected by another, visible
> > one.
> Your description of the desired effect is pretty vague: I understand
> that you want an object to be "hidden" (whatever that means), yet
> interact with some other visible object in /some/ (unspecified) manner,
> but that's about it.
> You're even talking about "intersecting" media containers, but your
> sample scene only has a union.

ah, sorry, guilty as charged.  what I meant is: hidden == no_image modifier, by
intersecting I meant just that, the horizontals + verticals go through one
another, did not think about the CSG meaning.

> As for the `no_image` keyword, marking an object in this manner will (or
> at least is intended to) cause it to /not/ "be there" - i.e. have /no
> effect whatsoever/ - in the context of primary rays, while still "being
> there" in the context of secondary rays (e.g shadow computations and
> reflections).

what does "primary" and "secondary" rays mean, in the context?  that is, in a
scene with only emissive media objects and zero light_source(s).

regards, jr.