POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: Reading HiRISE Format : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Reading HiRISE Format Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:45:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Reading HiRISE Format
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Jun 2018 14:15:06
Message: <web.5b2552f8df5bb22f458c7afe0@news.povray.org>

>   I remember that, more than 20 years ago, I modelled height_fields
> derived form DEM (Digital Elevation Model) GIS data I got from the USGS.
> The data had to be converted first using an application provided by
> USGS, iirc.

I've tried to dabble a bit with it, with mixed success.
There are too many data formats, and too little exaplanatory text for
identifying what they are, and not enough short, clear, concise documentation
for loading the data into software so it can be used.

It's all very confusing.
Apparently Christoph Hormann is a bit of a wizard with this stuff.  Perhaps if
he still visits here, he could chime in with some advice.

I have GRASS GIS 7.0.4  and  OSGeo4W, which I suppose is what I used to get the
heightfield data for the New River bridge WIP I did a while back.