POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transforming an image_pattern{} : Re: Transforming an image_pattern{} Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:37:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transforming an image_pattern{}
From: Kenneth
Date: 31 May 2018 04:55:01
Message: <web.5b0fb7b514fd3a80a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> To the best of my knowledge, there is effectively no difference between
> the two constructs. I would consider the latter more intuitive though...

Yeah, I eventually came to the same conclusion (and the two rendered results do
look identical; I don't see any difference at all.) The thing that seemed wierd
to me was placing *inverse* transforms before the 'regular' transform, in the
overall code. That looked... backwards (only from a 'linear-programming'
perspective-- or maybe just aesthetically!) But I was thinking in too 'linear' a
way ;-)

To answer Thomas's comment: The image_pattern construct seems to be a special
kind of 'thing' in POV-Ray-- composed of two *almost*-distinct parts (the
image_pattern part, and the texture_map part.) That's how I see it, anyway. Yet,
the fact that the main transform{} CAN go in either place-- and with the same
result-- is rather strange and interesting.