POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) : Re: Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:03:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking)
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Apr 2018 08:00:00
Message: <web.5ae31027c48ed6a6c437ac910@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> It's actually a case that happens a lot.

Yeah, I've run into this issue with closing curly braces }

That's why I really double-down on structuring my code with noticeable
indentations, comments on closing braces and #ends, and embedding #debug code
blocks into the various sections.

Embedding "opening" and "closing" #debug messages for macros and include files,
writing values of arguments passed to these to the #debug stream, and the
results of critical intermediate and final calculations can be a huge help in
tracking down what went wrong, where, and why.

Don't start writing your cvode assuming it's going to work - write it assuming
it's going to go horribly wrong, and 3 weeks from now when you can't even
recognize it as your own code or remember what you did or why --- you're going
to be SO thankful for those comments and helpful debugging features.  :)