POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) : Re: Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request: Line-by-Line Parsing (Error Tracking)
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 21 Apr 2018 20:50:01
Message: <web.5adbdb5bc48ed6a65cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
Right - "stepping" through.

As I think has been mentioned before, the editor isn't really part of POV-Ray,
it's a 3rd party windows thing.

Maybe there's some other editor that would allow you to do that, I dunno.

What you can likely do is insert #error directives in your code, wrapped with an
#if

Then you can declare a variable at the top of the scene, and do something like:

#if (Step = 1)
     // some #debug stuff to let you know what's going on.
     // probably best to write a macro to output the desired info
     #error
#end

#if (Step = 2)
     ReportMacro()
     #error
#end

Perhaps this is an indication that now is a good place to slow down, and think
through what your code does, and where the problem could be.
What's different about the test scene and the real scene?
Can your real scene code be structured better to make errors more obvious?
Can you send information to the #debug stream to narrow things down?
Are you using a beta version or a stable version?

Make a new scene, and start adding in copy-pasted bits until you experience the
error.   Or comment out sections until the error goes away.

Stepping through the code likely won't help you depending on what the problem
is.

Welcome to debugging.   ;)