POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem with nested transparent objects : Re: Problem with nested transparent objects Server Time
23 Apr 2024 15:09:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with nested transparent objects
From: kai
Date: 31 Mar 2018 07:20:01
Message: <web.5abf6e0433249f964d9b10120@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> There are some things in your test scene that are causing some visual confusion.
>
> Your background(White} is the same color as your first sphere, so I changed the
> background color to rgb .5. Then, when I render the scene with both spheres in
> it, I see ONLY the 2nd (red) sphere; I don't see BOTH spheres.

I think you are right.  I have now put a checkerboard behind the spheres to
better see what they do, including the refraction effects.

> Your light source is at the center of both spheres; did you mean to do that?

The final scene is to contain objects surrounding the centre, I just didn't
bother moving the light for the test.

> I think that the use of  finish{Glass_Finish}  might be confusing the expected
> result as well.

Yeah, well, but if I remove it, I don't get the translucent glass effect I want.

> That finish has  specular 1.0   in it (as well as 0.0 for both
> ambient and diffuse.) Specular (and phong) highlights DO show up even on
> 'invisible' object surfaces.

Hm, that would be a problem then.

> Also, I *think* that the srgbft color of your 2nd
> sphere might be causing a problem:
>                  srgbft <  0.9, 0.1, 0.2, 0.7, 1.0 >
>
> The filter and transmit values *add up* to more than 1.0 here.

want, but I now understand that I can get unexpected contributions from all the

it may be that I have to come up with some semiplausible physics interpretation