POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPEG and PNG renders, and embedded ICC profiles : Re: JPEG and PNG renders, and embedded ICC profiles Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG and PNG renders, and embedded ICC profiles
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Mar 2018 04:25:00
Message: <web.5ab8ad87ccd5f296a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> Look atIve's site: http://www.lilysoft.org/IC/ic_index.htm
>
> The new IC version can embed an ICC profile in a jpeg image. As far as I
> can judge for now, The Gimp cannot.

Yes, I plan to update my version of IC asap; thanks. Although, it's still not
clear to me why a JPEG image needs a color profile, or *doesn't* need one.

I also came across this, which explains some of the reasons for ICC profiles,
why some image file types don't have embedded ones, etc. I can't say if this is
a 'definitive' explanation, but it describes the basics at least. (Although, the
opinion there about the sRGB color space might be controversial.)

https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/embedded-color-space-information.html

Interestingly, the article says something like, "GIMP expects to see an embedded
color profile when it loads an image"... but apparently it doesn't WRITE a
profile to an image. That's a bit strange ;-)

The comments from Ive and Clipka have raised some interesting questions, IMO.