POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage? : Re: Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:48:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage?
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 22 Mar 2018 18:50:01
Message: <web.5ab43296924ba398cfd0510a0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> I'd start with a slightly turbulant cells pattern.
> Next, overlay it with another similar pattern scalled smaller. That
> second pattern should use filtering pigments, or transmiting if you prefer.
>
> Maybe something like this (neutral grey on average) :
> #declare ColourBase = color_map{[1/3 rgb 0.1][1/3 rgb 0.5][2/3 rgb
> 0.5][2/3 rgb 0.9]}
> #declare ColourFilter = color_map{[1/3 rgb 0.1 filter 1][1/3 rgb 0.5
> filter 1][2/3 rgb 0.5 filter 1][2/3 rgb 1 filter 1]}
>
> #declare Camo = texture{cells color_map ColourBase warp{turbulece 0.3}}
> texture{cells warp{turbulece 0.5} color_map ColourFilter scale 1/4}
> texture{cells warp{turbulece 0.8} color_map ColourFilter scale 1/10}
>

> Alain

Thanks for the suggestion! If I used your code correctly (had to make a couple
adjustments) then the results are a very nice traditional-looking camo pattern
(render attached). What I'm attempting is the trendy pixelated "digital" style
camo pattern similar to Marine Pattern (MARPAT) or Universal Camouflage Pattern
(UCP). These patterns are generated using fractal functions in order to maintain
the similar pattern appearance at short and far distances. I find that this is
well beyond my ability! I have been reading about camouflage design and it's
very interesting and scientific, but requires more math skill than I possess.

Regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: