POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values : Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:08:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 Mar 2018 16:00:00
Message: <web.5aa6db061cab2f0ba47873e10@news.povray.org>
In light of these weird results, I'm wondering what effect (if any) the
'threshold' phenomenon has on a USUAL rad render of any typical scene. For
example, a scene using rad brightness 0.7. My tests up to now have all been with
the *entire scene* run at brightness .020 (i.e., with the value pre-set in the
radiosity{...} block.)  But does this underlying brightness 'threshold' also
affect 'typical' rad renders in a microscopic or local way? I'm thinking of what
might happen to a particular pixel or group of pixels that happen to fall below
..020 in brightness, for whatever reason.  In other words, does the phenomenon
kick in for just those dark pixels (or dark rad 'patches')?

Of course, my understanding of the rad 'brightness' mechanism itself could be
wrong.

Or maybe my 'armchair philosophy' is just getting too far ahead of the facts ;-)