POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : A Bit of Chess : Re: A Bit of Chess Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:10:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Bit of Chess
From: greytery
Date: 16 Feb 2018 16:40:01
Message: <web.5a8747949d5cb977832e26920@news.povray.org>
> Am 14.02.2018 um 23:28 schrieb greytery:

> For animations, frame-level job distribution will most certainly remain
> the most efficient solution, even once tile-level job distribution is
> enabled.

It's also easier to manage from a recovery POV. (No apology - pun intended!)
Easier to recover a missing frame - but a missing tile would ruin several
clients work.
I've only been using a private, local farm with home-brew UDP plumbing - but
never hit a recovery problem.
If "we" were to distibute animations across the web, say, then tile-level
message passing overheads would be horrendous. There will always be an overhead
in distributing the jobs, mainly because there doesn't appear to be any way of
cacheing/sharing the parsing results ( am I wrong?).

In this example, the individual moves were ~1-4 second scenes, each job split
into 30-100 frames. So there is an even higher level of job management - and job
recovery. Frames is good!

I understand that the render engine efficiency has been improved in > 3.7 and I
look forwards to feeling the difference.

tery