POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Corrections to documented media defaults. : Re: Corrections to documented media defaults. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:46:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Corrections to documented media defaults.
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Feb 2018 23:15:01
Message: <web.5a8659e248f091b8a47873e10@news.povray.org>
> On the page:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Media#Index_Entry_media_types
>
> samples      : Min 1, Max 1
>
> should be:
>
> samples      : Min 10, Max 10
>
> given we otherwise have the >=3.5 method 3 defaults documented.

What's also missing from all of the various media wiki references I've looked at
is that, with method 3, a *single* samples value can be used instead...

samples  35

....but even then, it isn't clear if method 3 is the *only* method that can do
that. Do methods 1 and 2 *require* 2 values?

The docs do need updating about this-- but I'm wondering if, sometime within the
v3.5-to-3.7 interval, the default samples value changed more than once(?) In
which case, changing the docs' default to  samples 10 (or 10,10?)  might raise
questions for users of those older versions-- if samples 1,1  as the default
'came and went' with various versions.  (Of course, that predicament cold be
easily solved with an extra note in the docs, about old vs. new behavior.)