POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : A Bit of Chess : Re: A Bit of Chess Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:48:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Bit of Chess
From: greytery
Date: 14 Feb 2018 13:35:00
Message: <web.5a8481059d5cb977832e26920@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 02/14/2018 12:16 PM, greytery wrote:
> > Last year I had some fun with POV-Ray animation. The main aim was to find some
> > (any?) way to utilise my mini-farm of PCs.
> > The main result of that time can be seen at: https://vimeo.com/242598466
>
> Very nice!
Hey thanks. I was just checking out YOUR 'Child'. Spooky or what!

> I love the sparkle effect where the king is first captured. Very liquid-y.
> I like the shape of the mass of pieces when first laying out the board.
> I would have started them in the center back and expand left/right
> instead of in the corner.

Corners chosen because I wanted a longer spread, but I take your point.

> > The subject was chosen to fit a piece of music by a Heavy Metal band (they're a
> > lot heavier than this piece). The Chess is NOT the greatest of contests but it
> > fits. (No Chess experts please!)
>
> Well, you did need a match that fits in 1:50. Someone has to make a dumb
> move. ;)

Hey - I said No Chess exp ..

> > The render farm is a mix of i7/i5 PCs (and recently a couple of Ryzens).  At
> > full tilt, that's pumping out over a kilowatt and perfect for a cool winter's
> > day. The master (Gru) is Win10 while the clients run Linux Mint (the
> > "Mintions").
>
> Heh. Nice node names. How many boxes are in the farm?
10 (3 i7, 5 i5, 2 Ryzen 1700 - all SSD and 8-16GB RAM).

>   The home-brew render job management is a bit of Python using
> > UDP(!!) over the gigabit LAN.
>
> UDP huh? That's an interesting choice.

Been writing comms code off & on since 1973. Back then it was teletypes,
dial-up. Went through the early internet thing, and was involved in maybe 7
TCP/IP subsystems. Our designs then used to fake the wiring between Host and
User by drawing a {{cloud}}.  Have bought and sold international - and even
orbital - networking solutions as a consultant .... so when I retired and sat
down at home and checked out the best solution for a bunch of PCs connected to
the same  gigabit switch - who needs a cloud?  UDP is reliable enough.